Sunday 19 February 2017

Buland Irade: soul stirring conversations :-)



“Man is defined as human being and a woman as a female- whenever she behaves as a human being she is said to imitate the male”- Simone de Beauvoir
Apart from working on Gender and Sexuality with various age groups, I love being part of learning spaces around Gender simply for two reasons: one each learning space teaches you something new, adds a new feather to your personality and secondly the conversations with people working on the same issue brings more life, color and inspiration.

So with the same thought I attended 5 day workshop “Buland Irade” facilitated by Nandini Rao and Dhiviya held at Sambhaavnaa Institute. I was really excited as people from various cities Pune, Nagpur, Bhopal, Udaipur and Delhi were coming to participate in the workshop. For me, it’s not easy to initiate conversations with people, so during first and second day the discussions were confined to the workshop duration and to the dinner table which to an extent seemed formal. Though games, group activities, andolan ke geet really helped in breaking the ice, the participants were slowly opening up and were having conversations.


The activity leading to the discussion over “Gender box” really helped me to open up, the question “if I identify as man I would love to ……” I took out all angst and frustrations and shared that I would really want to hit, box and slap people who misbehave if I identify as a man. I was feeling light because being a girl I am breaking many stereotypes but the courage to hit someone is still not there. 

When the conversations begin with a personal connect, they are more convincing and realistic which was very evident when we started discussing about Patriarchy- talking about the customs and traditions that are followed in various parts of the country to actually curb sexuality of women brought out many unsaid and unknown examples for example in Rajasthan, the widows are kept in one corner for over a year, they are not allowed to interact or move or even eat food with rest of the family, in certain Muslim community divorced women are secretly married off and they are send to their in laws in night, in Bhopal for married Muslim women to pass virginity test on their first night, the white bed sheet must have blood stain, which is then displayed following a lavish party. If there are no stains without a question, the girl is sent back home. Many such traditions not only shocked me but brought a sickening feeling.

We were given free time after workshop as there was no screening of movie so as to have more conversations with each other, about ourselves, the work that we do and beyond. Interestingly 2 participants had their birthdays on consecutive days so we decided to bring cake for them and celebrate. Before that we decided to play truth and dare – it was interesting because we invited each and every person to share or do something only if they were comfortable with the same. The questions were very intimidating and related to personal lives for example about their fantasies, sexuality and others. To my surprise, the participants shared very intimate details and I could see the trust building in the group. 



The next day we were divided into groups of two, where we were asked to share with our partner on three questions – first experience of sexuality, how it felt and what were the messages that you received on sexuality? I remember the incidence pretty well though at that age I didn’t know that it is about my sexuality; I had to share it with my partner who happened to be a boy. However I went ahead and shared my experience and to my surprise he opened up completely- our experiences were same but at different age group. He confessed that due to peer pressure and wrong assumptions he made lot of mistakes and lost something that was very dear to him. The next stage of the activity was to share the same experience in the groups of 4. I was amazed to see that people who wanted to have partner from same gender was comfortable to be in group with people from different gender. My group got two more female members, both of them shared that it was during menstruation that they came across about their sexuality and all sort of misguiding messages were given to them. 

The conversation which started with sharing experience reached to its next level when we discussed why we link sexuality with painful or distasteful experience, can’t the experience of sexuality be fun, happy or which brings pleasure, on this note one of the member shared how she was attracted to her teacher when she was in her teens and now also she is exploring her sexuality by breaking the gender binary. To me sexuality is more than having sex, or being attracted to its part of me, my personality and how I express myself. 


On the same day, clinical psychologist Kishwer who is a very important and integral part of Feminist movement joined us, she shared beautiful personal stories. One story that particularly touched me was of a boy who was 22 years old living in Kashmir. He used to remain unconscious most of the time, his family bought him to her, she performed reiki on him and he just got up. To engage with him, she invited him to draw something- he drew a man in suit at the corner of the paper. There were many interpretations to it but she believes that it’s just love and care which can cure anything :-)


When I went back to the dorm, the environment was heavy- there was strange silence, a girl was sad, it was her birthday but her partner had called her to know how to operate washing machine rather than wishing her! She was upset and with heavy heart she shared her personal struggles from her family to her in-laws expectations and somewhere in between her own struggle to find happiness. Gradually another girl who rarely used to speak began sharing her set of troubles, from professional life to married life, which then moved to another lady who has lost her husband and has a child- the atrocities of in-laws, pressure from her own family, struggle to live for her child and her own happiness- does she even have time for that? I don’t know. The sadness and tears spread more vehemently than wild fire and in no time almost everyone had a break down.

After the dinner, “A pinch of skin”- documentary on FGM was screened. Till now I was being strong trying to lend my ears and support to anyone who was being vulnerable, but all of sudden tables had turned, I was feeling helpless, weak, caged for there was a 7 years old whose clitoris was cut in name of religious practice to curb her sexual desires!! For god sake how can someone be so cruel and blinded to harm the innocence? The burning sensation in my heart translated into chilled water which was flowing through my eyes. I was deeply wounded and my brain stopped thinking because this is unimaginable, I was exhausted so without speaking to anyone I went to bed directly.

The long night finally ended. The session began with our reflections about the documentary and experience of last four days and then what happened was something that none of us actually imagined and was prepared for. All of us work on gender and sexuality in one or the other way, but in due course we ignore our own self, we forget to address our own struggles with the demon called patriarchy and this all gets dumped in our hearts and leaves an impact on our soul. And then I encounter this space which has humongous love, trust and support created by amazing people, my pain abandons me all of a sudden, disregards my existence and flow away. 

“There is sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness,
but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues.
They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, deep contrition
And, of unspeakable love”- Washington Irving

I had never witnessed a space where people were being vulnerable, overwhelmed and strong enough to support others at the very same time. This was nothing less than the miracle :-)


For me Buland Irade had been really special in many ways- in terms of understanding, building knowledge and figuring out correlation between sex, gender, sexuality and patriarchy, meeting inspirational people who are doing commendable work in their respective state, having meaningful conversations and witnessing a space which has capacity to heal long unheard pain.





No comments:

Post a Comment